The COVID-19 pandemic has brought overwhelming grief to many residents within our community. Due to the tremendous loss of life, FEMA is providing financial assistance for COVID-19-related funeral expenses incurred after January 20, 2020.
To be eligible for funeral assistance, you must meet the following criteria:
- The death must have occurred in the United States.
- The applicant must be a US citizen, non-citizen national, or qualified alien who incurred funeral expenses after January 20, 2020.
- There is no requirement for the decesed person to have been a US citizen, non-citizen national, or qualified alien.
- The deceased person's death certificate must indicated the death was attributed to or caused by COVID-19.
- If a death occurred between January 20, 2020 and May 16, 2020, and the death certificated does not attibute the death to COVID-19, include a signed statement from the death certificate's certifying official, local coroner, or medical examiner that links the cuase of death to COVID-19.
Which expenses will qualify for reimbursement?
Examples of eligible expenses may include, but are not limited to:
- Transportation to identify the deceased individual
- The transfer of remains
- A burial plot or cremation niche
- A marker or headstone
- Clergy or officiant services
- The use of funeral home equipment or staff
- Cremation or interment costs
What information do I need to provide to FEMA?
Please have the following information before contacting FEMA to apply:
- Name, social security number, date of birth, mailing address, and contact phone numbers
- Name, social security number, and date of birth for each deceased individual
- Location or address where the deceased individual passed away
- Documentation and receipts for any assistance already received from other sources, including burial or funeral insurance, donations, voluntary agencies, other government programs or non-profit organizations
- The name and information of any co-applicant(s) if anyone besides yourself incurred funeral expenses for the deceased individual(s)
How do I apply for assistance?
- Call FEMA's COVID-19 Funeral Assistance Helpline at 1-844-684-6333 (TTY: 800-462-7585) from 9am to 9pm ET, Monday - Friday and begin the application process.
- For fastest service following your application, you can begin submitting documentation online through disasterassistance.gov or by fax at 855-261-3452. Documents may also be mailed to: COVID-19 Funeral Assistance, PO Box 10001, Hyattsville, MD 20782.
- You can also visit us online at FEMA.gov/funeral-assistance/faq. Information is provided in several languages both by telephone and the website