Insurance Claims


Claims Against the City of Newburyport for Property Damage or Personal Injury

(Massachusetts Tort Claims Act, M.G.L. c. 258)

State law relieves the City of any liability for property damage or personal injury that results from unknown or unforeseen accidents for which the City was not negligent (M.G.L. c. 258, §2).  For example, damages to an automobile as the result of a pothole in the road, damages to personal property as the result of a sewage or water main break, or personal injury damages as the result of a slip and fall on a sidewalk, are NOT occurences for which a claimant may collect damages from the City unless the claimant can prove the City was negligent.  

In certain, very limited circumstances, the City may be liable for damages to an individual when an investigation shows that the City was negligent, or that a City employee committed a wrongful act or omission.  State law governs the procedure that the city follows for such claims and limits the City's potential liability in such actions (M.G.L. c. 84 §15).  

To file a claim, please follow the procedure outlined below.

  1. Complete a Report of Incident/Claim Form
  2. Attach relevant documentation to Form (itemized estimate of damages and/or receipts, copy of police report if applicable, color pictures, copy of medical bills for personal injuries).
  3. Submit completed Report of Incident/Claim Form and relevant documentation to the Office of the City Auditor, Newburyport City Hall, 60 Pleasant St., Newburyport, MA 01950.
  4. Upon filing the claim with the City, you will be notified by the City's insurance company within 3-4 weeks of the outcome.