How do I apply for a liquor license in Newburyport?

New and transfer licenses for alcoholic beverages require a hearing with the Newburyport Licensing Board, the Alcoholic Beverage Control Commission (ABCC) application, a newspaper advertisement and abutter notification (both of these must be at least 10 days prior to the hearing). To schedule a hearing, email with your request.  After a hearing date is confirmed, it is the applicant's responsibility to put the Legal Ad in the newspaper, and to notify the abutters of the hearing. Applications are at the Massachusetts Alcoholic Beverages Control Commission at  The application must be submitted to the License Commission at least two weeks prior to the hearing.  The ABCC will only accept typed applications.  Sample newspaper advertisements are under Links to the left.

The City of Newburyport is at the quota for off-premises all alcohol and off premises beer and wine licenses.  The City of Newburyport has on premises all alcohol and on premises beer and wine licenses available.

To schedule a hearing or for additional information, please email