Youth Services & Community Space
The Newburyport Youth Services program was relocated from the former Kelley School building on High Street to the first floor of the Brown School on Milk Street, which is now referred to as the “Newburyport Rec Center.” The Brown School gym is used daily by the neighborhood and community at large. A September 30, 2013 vote of the City Council also designated a significant portion of the former school grounds for public purposes as park and playground space with the intention that these portions of the property be retained for public use in perpetuity, even after lease or sale of a portion of the property for private use.
Neighborhood Meetings & Public Comment
Several neighborhood meetings have been held at the Brown School in recent months to update residents and the general public on the status of the feasibility study, and to allow for public comment, questions, and suggestions before the plan is finalized with recommendations for the preferred and most viable future use(s). In addition, the City is evaluating the level of interest from local artists for artist loft space within the Brown School as one potential reuse of the upper floors. While the feasibility study is updated to address the many comments and suggestions we have received to date, please note that comments submitted via this website have been posted below (as a downloadable PDF) for the benefit of all. Information about any future meetings regarding the Brown School Adaptive Reuse Feasibility Study will be posted here and on the City Calendar.
Questions or Concerns?
For additional information please contact:
- Feasibility Study draft (9/22/14)
- Neighborhood meeting slides (10/30/14)
- Schematic floor plan - apartments (10/31/14)
- Schematic floor plan - artists studios (10/31/14)
- Schematic floor plan - 1st floor (10/31/14)
- Schematic site plan (10/31/14)
- Educational reuse subcommittee final (5/14/15)
- Request for Proposals (2/24/17)
- Neighborhood meeting slides (1/25/18)
- Written testimony - Committee on P&D hearing re: Brown School (2/28/18)