CORONAVIRUS DISEASE 2019 (COVID-19)
COVID-19 is a new respiratory disease that is caused by a novel (or new) coronavirus that has not previously been seen in humans. Reported illnesses have ranged from mild symptoms to severe illness and death for confirmed COVID-19 cases. Symptoms of this infection may appear 2-14 days after exposure and include fever, cough and shortness of breath (and in severe cases, pneumonia/fluid in the lungs.) The links below provide important information about the spread of COVID-19 and ways that you can protect yourself and your family from this illness.
Call your healthcare professional if you develop symptoms, and have been in close contact with a person known to have COVID-19 or if you have recently traveled from an area with widespread or ongoing community spread of COVID-19
Preventing the Spread of COVID-19
- CDC - Use Cloth Face Coverings to Help Slow the Spread of COVID-19 - This site includes a tutorial for making your own face mask (sew & no-sew instructions)
Local and State Information - Links to Orders and Announcements Related to COVID-19:
- Board of Health Order of 4-15-2020 Concerning: Gatherings in Public Areas, Wearing of Face Coverings in Essential Businesses, Moratorium on Eviction Enforcement, and Social Distancing
- Newburyport Public School's Website - Link to "Breaking Health News COVID-19"
- Governor Charlie Baker Orders All Non-Essential Businesses To Cease In Person Operation - Effective March 24, 2020
- Mass Department of Public Health - Information on the COVID-19 Outbreak - Including links to Updates from Governor Baker and Today's Current COVID-19 Cases in Massachusetts
What is Coronavirus Disease (also known as COVID-19 and Novel Coronavirus)
- CDC Fact Sheet - What you need to know about coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19)
- Fact Sheet on the Coronavirus from the Massachusetts Department of Public Health
- Mass Department of Public Health - Information on the Outbreak of COVID-19 (Updated Regularly)
- Latest Updates About Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) from the Centers for Disease Control (CDC) - Updated Regularly
- The link above includes Symptoms, Prevention, Treatment, FAQs, Travel Information, COVID-19 Situation Summary and much more information
- The World Health Organization's (WHO) Question & Answer page provides helpful general information about COVID-19; and WHO also posts daily 'Situational Updates' that are of a more technical nature
What to do if you are sick with COVID-19, suspect you are infected, have been exposed to someone who has COVID-19 or have recently returned from travel outside of Massachusetts:
- How to Self-Isolate or Self-Quarantine - Guidance from the Mass. Department of Public Health
- What To Do If You Are Sick With Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) - Fact Sheet from the CDC
Household Disinfectants and Getting Your Household Ready for Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19)
- Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19) - Fighting Products - A list of products with Environmental Protection Agency (EPA)-approved emerging viral pathogens claims.
- Resources for Home - Plan, Prepare and Respond to Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) - From the CDC
Videos pertaining to 2019 Coronavirus (COVID-19)
- COVID-19: What Older Adults Need to Know - From the CDC
- Answering Kids' Questions About COVID-19 - From Childrens' Hospital of Colorado
- An overview of Coronaviruses and COVID-19 - A Youtube video by the World Health Organization 2/5/2020
- The 5 things you should know about coronavirus (COVID-19) - Youtube video posted by Center for Disease Control
Handwashing & Good Personal Hygiene are Some of the Most Effective Ways to Protect yourself from 2019 Coronavirus (COVID-19) and other contagious diseases. The CDC recommends washing hands with soap and water whenever possible because handwashing reduces the amounts of all types of germs and chemicals on hands. But if soap and water are not available, using a hand sanitizer with at least 60% alcohol can help you avoid getting sick and spreading germs to others.
Click on the links below to learn more:
- Children's Training Video for Effective Handwashing
- Handwashing and Hand Sanitizer Use - When and How to Use: Information provided by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention