Wednesday, December 6, 2017 - 6:00pm
City Council Chambers
60 Pleasant StreetNewburyport, MA 01950
NOTICE OF JOINT PUBLIC HEARING
PLANNING BOARD AND CITY COUNCIL PLANNING & DEVELOPMENT COMMITTEE
Notice is hereby given pursuant to Massachusetts General Laws Chapter 40A, Section 5 (The Zoning Act) and the Newburyport Zoning Ordinance, Section XXII-B (Adoption and Amendment), that the Newburyport Planning Board and City Council (acting through its Planning & Development Committee) will hold a Joint Public Hearing on Wednesday, December 6, 2017 at 7:00 p.m. in the City Council Chambers at Newburyport City Hall, 60 Pleasant Street, Newburyport, MA 01950.
The purpose of this Public Hearing is to present, and hear testimony and comment from interested persons relative to, proposed amendments and additions to the Zoning Ordinance for the City of Newburyport, said amendments being submitted to the City Council for consideration on October 30th, 2017. After the Public Hearing the Planning Board and Planning & Development Committee will, as required by law, vote its recommendations on each proposal and report them back to the full City Council.
There are two (2) proposed ordinance amendments. A summary is provided below. Copies of the full text of such ordinances and maps thereof are available for review by interested parties in the Offices of the City Clerk and Office of Planning & Development (City Hall, 60 Pleasant Street, Newburyport, MA 01950) during regular business hours. Questions regarding these ordinances may be directed to the Director of Planning & Development, Andrew R. Port, at (978) 465-4400 x 1.
Summary of Proposed Zoning Ordinance Amendments:
1: Amend the Newburyport Zoning Ordinance Section X-H.6.A so as to expressly prohibit the granting of Use Variances by the Zoning Board of Appeals.
2: Amend the Newburyport Zoning Ordinance under Section III-C (entitled “Zoning map”) and Section III-D (entitled “Changes to zoning map”), such that the following areas on the “Zoning Map of the City of Newburyport” are changed from the “Residential Three” (R-3) District to the “Residential Two” (R-2) District:
- The entire area bounded northwesterly by Fruit Street and Fair Street, northeasterly by Water Street, southeasterly by Independent Street, and northeasterly by Liberty Street; and southeasterly by Federal Street and southwesterly by High Street, and expressly excluding those parcels currently located within the Business Three (B-3) District.
- The following listed parcels of land, located on the south side of High Street and easterly of State Street:
- 87 High Street (Assessors Map/Lot 33-38)
- 89 High Street (Assessors Map/Lot 33-39)
- 91 High Street (Assessors Map/Lot 33-40)
- 93 High Street (Assessors Map/Lot 33-41)
- 95 High Street (Assessors Map/Lot 33-42)
- 97 High Street (Assessors Map/Lot 33-43)
Said areas are designated on a map entitled “Zoning Map Change – Proposed v.2,” prepared by the Office of Planning and Development, dated October 30, 2017.
NEWBURYPORT PLANNING BOARD
Bonnie Sontag, Chair