Monday ,Tuesday & Wednesday- 8:30am to 12:30pm and 2:00pm to 3:30pm
Thursday - 8:30am to 12:30pm and 2:00pm to 6:30pm
Friday - 8:30am - 11:30am

The City of Newburyport is a Passport Acceptance Facility with trained agents. Please see the following requirements of the U.S. Department of State in order to apply for a U.S. Passport. If you need additional information or to download applications go to:

You must apply in person using Form DS-11 if at least one of the following is true:

  • You are applying for your first U.S. Passport
  • You are under age 16
  • Your previous U.S. Passport was issued when you were under age 16
  • Your previous U.S. Passport was lost, stolen, or damaged
  • Your previous U.S. Passport was issued more than 15 years ago

If none of the above statements apply to you, you may be eligible to renew using Form DS-82

All applicants must appear in person to submit a DS-11 U.S. Passport application complete with citizenship evidence, photo ID, photo, and fees. All application requirements and fees are determined by the U.S. Department of State.

How to Apply in Person:

1. Complete application form DS-11. Do not sign this application until instructed to do so.

2. Provide Evidence of U.S. Citizenship

You must submit one of the following. Your evidence must be an original or certified copy. Photocopies and notarized copies are not acceptable.

  • Fully-valid, undamaged U.S. passport (may be expired)
  • Long form U.S. birth certificate that meets the following requirements:
    • Issued by the city, county, or state of birth
    • Lists your full name, date of birth, and place of birth
    • Lists your parents full names
    • Has the date filed with registrar’s office (must be within one year of birth)
    • Has the registrar’s signature
    • Has the seal of the issuing authority
  • Certificate of Naturalization
  • Certificate of Citizenship
  • Consular Report of Birth Abroad or Certification of Birth

3. Present photo ID

You must present one of the following identification documents to the acceptance agent.  The ID must readily identify you.

  • Fully-valid U.S. driver’s license
  • U.S. Military ID or Dependent ID
  • Fully-valid, undamaged U.S. Passport
  • Valid foreign passport
  • Government employee ID

Please note: If you present an out-of-state ID please present an additional ID. It should show as much of the following information as possible: your photo, full name, date of birth, and the document issuance date.

4. One passport photo

  • One color photograph taken within the past six months. 
  • It must be 2 x 2, clear, white background, front view, full faced, normal street attire (no uniforms, etc.), nothing in hair or on head, no glasses. 
  • Photos are available for $10.00 at City Hall.

5. Calculate Fees

Adult Applicants (Age 16 and older) 10 year Passport:

Passport Book$110.00$35.00
Passport Card$30.00


Passport Book & Card$140.00$35.00

Child Applicants (Age 15 and younger) 5 year Passport:

Passport Book$80.00$35.00
Passport Card$15.00$35.00
Passport Book & Card$95.00$35.00

Processing time:

  • Routine Delivery 6-8 Weeks
  • Expedited Delivery 2-3 Weeks (Additional $60 fee per application)

The application fee is payable by check or money order to the U.S. Department of State. The execution fee is payable by cash, check, money order, credit or debit card to the City of Newburyport.

Special Circumstances:

Children under Age 16:

  1. Form DS-11
  2. Passport photo
  3. Evidence of U.S. Citizenship
  4. Evidence of Parental Relationship: You must submit documentation that lists the parent(s) of the child applying for a passport. Please note these documents must be original or certified copies, photocopies are not acceptable.  The following may be used to show parental relationship:
  • U.S. birth certificate
  • Consular Report of Birth Abroad
  • Foreign birth certificate
  • Adoption decree
  • Divorce/Custody decree

6.  Parents/Guardians must present photo ID

7.  Parental Consent: Both parents/guardians must authorize the issuance of the child’s passport. The best way to do this is for both parents/guardians to go with the child in person to apply for the passport. If both parents cannot appear in person parental consent is still required. Special circumstances should be addressed as follows:

If.....You have sole legal authority 

Then.....You must submit evidence of this with the application. Examples include:

  • Certified copy of complete court order granting you sole legal custody of the child, such as a divorce decree or other custody order
  • Complete court order specifically permitting you to apply for your child’s passport
  • Certified copy of the child's birth certificate listing you as the only parent 
  • Certified copy of an adoption decree listing you as the only parent
  • Certified copy of the judicial declaration of incompetence of the parent that cannot appear in person
  • Certified copy of the death certificate of the parent that cannot appear in person

If....One parent is unable to appear

Then.....The one parent/guardian who cannot go with the child to apply for the passport, can give permission by completing Form DS-3053 “Statement of Consent." You must submit the completed form with the child's passport application. The parent that cannot go with the child must:

  • Sign and date Form DS-3053 in the presence of a certified notary public, and
  • Submit a photocopy of the front and back side of the ID that they present to the notary public with Form DS-3053.

If.....You cannot locate the other parent

Then.....You must submit Form DS-5525 “Statement of Exigent/Special Family Circumstances."

  • Please complete the form with as much detail as possible.
  • We may ask for additional information (e.g., custody order, incarceration order, restraining order) to protect against international parental child abduction.

Children Age 16-17

  1. Form DS-11
  2. Passport photo
  3. Evidence of U.S. Citizenship
  4. Parental Awareness: One parent must appear with child when applying for passport
  5. Parent must present ID
  6. If child has ID it must be presented

Please Note: Passport Agents reserve the right to determine acceptability of identifying and citizenship documentation.  Submitting a passport application does not guarantee issuance of a U.S. Passport.

You will apply using Form DS-82 (renew by mail) if your most recent passport:

  • Is submitted with your application
  • Is undamaged
  • Was issued when you were age 16 or older
  • Was issued within the last 15 years
  • Was issued in your current name (or you can document your name change with an original or certified copy of your marriage certificate, divorce decree, or court order)

How to renew by mail if the above requirements are met:

  1. Complete application Form DS-82
  2. Submit your most recent U.S. Passport
  3. Include any name change documents (if applicable)

If the name you are currently using is different from the name on your most recent U.S. Passport you must provide a certified copy of the legal name change document. This document will be returned to you through the mail. Examples include:

  • Marriage Certificate
  • Divorce Decree
  • Court-ordered name change document

4.  Recent passport photo

5.  Calculate fees and include check or money order payable to the U.S. Department of State

6.  Mail completed application to appropriate address located on application. Remember to sign and date the application.

If you are traveling within 14 days please contact the U.S. Department of State at 877-487-2778 or visit for an appointment.

For additional information or questions, and a complete list of acceptable documents please visit







PDF icon United States Passport Fees438.91 KB