The City of Newburyport is a Passport Acceptance Facility with trained agents. The items you must have in order to apply for a new passport are:
1. Complete application (Form DS-11) Do not sign this application. For more information or to download applications go to: www.travel.state.gov
2. Proof of Citizenship (one of the following):
a. Birth certificate (long form) with – name of applicant, date of birth, place of birth,listing parents names, file or registration date, certification (seal), recorded within one year of birth.
b. Expired passport
c. Certificate of Naturalization
Note: Children under 16 with previous passports are required to have the expired passport along with a birth certificate.
3. Proof of Identity - preferably a valid driver’s license. Please see below for acceptable forms of identification.
4. One passport photo - One color photograph taken within the past six months. It must be 2 x 2, clear, white background, front view, full faced, normal street attire (no uniforms, etc.). Photos are available for $10.00.
Each adult 16 years and over:
$110.00 check or money order made payable to the "US Department of State." NO CREDIT CARDS.
plus $25.00 execution fee, check or money order made payable to the “City of Newburyport.” (Cash is also accepted.)
Optional $60.00 for expedited service (per application).
Each minor under 16 years:
$80.00 check or money order made payable to “US Department of State.”
$25.00 execution fee, check or money order made payable to the “City of Newburyport.” (Cash is also accepted.)
Optional $60.00 for expedited service (per application)
CHILDREN UNDER 16 YEARS OF AGE:
a. All minor children must appear in person with a parent or legal guardian who must co-sign application (Effective 2/1/2004)
b. Require both parents’ signatures, or notarized written consent from absent parent, with attached copy of ID.evidence of sole custody, death certificate, or written explanation why absent person’s consent cannot be obtained (form DS-3053)
Passports are valid for 10 years for those 16 years and over. Passports are valid for 5 years for those under 16 years.
Normal processing turnaround time is 6 weeks. Expedited processing time is within 3 weeks.
If you are traveling within two weeks call 877-487-2778 for an appointment.
Please note - The City of Newburyport acts as an acceptance agency to facilitate processing. We do not trace applications.
For more information, contact:
The passport card (wallet size) is not for travel by air. It is valid for land and sea crossings between the U.S. and Canada, Mexico, Bermuda and the Caribbean only.
Adults (over 16 years of age) $30 plus $25 execution fee; valid for 10 years.
Minors (under 16 years of age) $15 plus $25 execution fee; valid for 5 years.
REQUIREMENTS: The application form is the same as for the passport book. One picture is required, a certified copy of your birth certificate, which means it has a seal and date of record,and a driver’s license. If a minor (under 16) is applying both parents must accompany the child (or have a signed & notarized consent form from the parent not able to be present).
The execution fees are paid to the City of Newburyport and can be cash, check, or money order.
The fees for the Passport Cards are payable to the Department of State by check or money order.
In addition to submitting proof of your U.S. citizenship, it is also necessary to show current and acceptable documentation of identification (ID). A U.S. birth certificate is proof of a U.S. citizenship and cannot be accepted as proof of identity since it contains no descriptive information. You cannot be identified from your birth certificate.
The ID is for the customer's protection to insure that passports are not issued to imposters (persons assuming another identity).
Note: Passport Agents reserve the right to determine acceptability of identifying documentation. Agents may request as many items off the list below as necessary to satisfy the identity requirement. Submission of one item off the Primary list does not guarantee issuance of a passport.
PRIMARY (Good photo likeness required):
- Valid U.S. drivers license, pilots license, MA State or Federal work ID card.
- Military ID (Dependent ID)
- Passport (Foreign or U.S.)/Naturalization Certificate (if photo likeness is good)
SECONDARY (Submit at least five from the list below):
- Medical cards, insurance cards/papers, pay stub, utility bills, welfare/benefit cards, leasing documents, mortgage documents
- Marriage certificate/divorce decree, income tax records, W-2, pay stubs
- Current Student identification card (school or college)
- School records, yearbook with photo, diploma-degree, technical school certificate, vehicle registration/title, birth certificate of children (if your name is listed), military records (DD-214, Honorable Discharge)
- INS Alien Registration Card (Green Card)/Employmnet authorization
You may also bring in a witness to ID you. The witness must be a U.S. citizen or permanent resident alien, 18 years or older, have acceptable primary ID. Blood relatives are preferable.and have known the applicant for a least 2 years.